According to the CDC, 25% of adults over 65 have no existing teeth. When one is missing teeth, it can be challenging to eat and speak. To add insult to injury, it can be emotionally distressing to sport a toothless smile. Patients with missing teeth, or no teeth at all, often choose dentures as a viable solution to these problems. While this is understandable, dentures have some issues when compared to more permanent dental implants. At The Fort Union Dentist in Midvale UT, our team has perfected the process of installing dental implants and we have put together a list explaining why they are more effective than dentures!
7 Problems With Dentures
- Dentures fit properly, but change as your mouth ages. Normal wear and tear begin to take their toll. Before long, the dentures need to be relined or replaced.
- The human body is designed to have teeth permanently adhered to the jaw. Dentures move around in the mouth, creating discomfort.
- Ill-fitting dentures can aggravate gum inflammation. This can result in additional health issues.
- Dentures can drastically alter a person’s bite, impacting the temporomandibular (jaw) joint and leading to pain in the face, neck, and head.
- Dentures trap bits of food, which can result in gum disease. Partial dentures can increase the risk of decay in remaining teeth.
- Dentures can change or mask the taste of food entirely, which can lead to a loss of appetite, insufficient nutrition, lower energy, digestive issues, smaller meals, weight loss, social isolation, and depression.
- Missing teeth eventually result in bone loss, as when the jaw no longer has roots, it begins to shrink and recede.
Request an appointment today and your dentist will gladly talk about any of these points! The Fort Union Dentist in Midvale UT serves satisfied patients in Salt Lake City, Cottonwood Heights, Murray, and Sugar House. If you are retired, you should be able to enjoy your golden years to the fullest. If you are working, you should be able to enjoy your career to the fullest. Dental implants can help you do it!
Why Are Dental Implants Better Than Dentures?
The short of it is that dental implants are more effective at ensuring stability than dentures, they foster a wider range of physical and mental improvement for the patient, and they provide a better ‘second chance’ at a full set of teeth. Can you place a value on physical and mental well-being? Dental implants may be one of the best investments you make when it comes to your health and happiness.
Contact The Fort Union Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
1275 E. Fort Union Blvd Ste 200